The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and organizational support to the General Secretary/President and Chief Operating Officer of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC). S/he is responsible for performing a variety of administrative and secretarial duties with excellence and minimal supervision, strong attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills. The Administrative Assistant will be a self-starter, able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and be deadline-oriented, flexible and solutions-minded.
This position will be located in the NCC’s Washington D.C. offices and has exempt status in the non-bargaining unit.
Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA has been a leading force for ecumenical cooperation among Christians in the United States. The 38 NCC member communions — from a wide spectrum of Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African American and Living Peace churches — include 45 million persons in more than 100,000 local congregations in communities across the nation.
- Provide senior executive-level support to NCC President/General Secretary and Chief Operating Officer.
- Provide administrative support to the Council’s Executive Committee and Governing Board, make arrangements for meetings, prepare materials, maintain updated lists and other related tasks as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Receive and process invitations and develop itineraries, including travel and lodging for the General Secretary/President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Process high-level documents and correspondence, some of which are confidential and must be treated as such and greet and maintain contact with high-level visitors and colleagues of the General Secretary/President.
- Process and prioritize incoming mail and assist with General Secretary/President’s correspondence, including processing and sending follow-up communications for incoming checks and online donations.
- Prepare payment authorization forms and process expenses for the General Secretary/President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Assist with payroll and some bookkeeping (i.e., entering accounts payable and cash receipts into the accounting system
- Maintain NCC files and filing systems, listservs and database information, including rosters, email-lists, mailing addresses, etc.
- Assist in the planning and staffing of the NCC’s annual Christian Unity Gathering.
- Oversee and maintain office supplies and equipment inventory, order supplies, books, and subscriptions, etc.
- Review office invoices for accuracy and ensure timely payment. Prepare expense reports and check requests for President/General Secretary.
- With the staff’s support, evaluate the need for new office systems, furniture, and equipment. Ensure that equipment is maintained adequately including copiers, office supplies, and cell phones.
- Ensure effective and timely computer services to staff, including desktops, laptops, servers, network, Wi-Fi, broadband.
- Maintain calendar for appointments for President/General Secretary and COO.
- Coordinate meetings including securing space, conference rooms set-up, ordering food/beverages, etc.
- Monitor compliance with requirements such as reporting and certificates of insurance.
- Answer main office phone and email and respond to general questions and requests.
- Process and maintain staff benefit records for health, disability, life, and other purposes.
- Work with COO to prepare and maintain employment, evaluation, and termination records for staff and employment contracts for independent contractors.
- Undertake other projects/work/functions as required at the discretion of the General Secretary/President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent life and work experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook. Experience with GoogleDocs and WordPress preferred. Ability to use the Internet as a research tool.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, take initiative and multi-task.
- Highly organized, service-oriented, task and deadline-focused, strong time management and interpersonal skills and creative thinker.
- Ability to work with confidential information in a professional manner.
- Must be a dedicated, resilient professional and a team player that enjoys working with a variety of people.
- A self-starter with specificity to detail, protocols, and professionalism in all respects.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings or weekends and travel 2-4 times per year to assist with major meetings and events.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Flexible, resilient, strong work ethic, professionalism, and sense of humor.
- Experience working with Neon or other CRM database systems is preferred.
- People of color, women, individuals with disabilities & veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Passion for ecumenism and the work of the National Council of Churches is preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Annual salary of $58,000 and pension benefits, 22 days of paid vacation, and a health care insurance subsidy.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 13, 2019
Please send cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
110 Maryland Ave. NE, Suite 108, Washington, DC 20002